Plumbers and Steamfitters Recruit Apprentices
Peekskill, NY (October 25, 2017) - The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #21, Zone 1, will conduct a recruitment from November 27, 2017 through December 8, 2017 for 15 Plumber & Steamfitter apprentices and 5 Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications must be obtained in person at Local Union #21, 1024 McKinley Street, Peekskill, NY, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications must be returned in person by 3:30 p.m. on Monday, December 8, 2017 at Local Union # 21. Applicants must pay a non-refundable $10.00 processing fee by cash or money order. Please note: You may request that this fee be waived. Fee waivers will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof of completion and grades will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must reside (for at least six months prior to application) within the geographic jurisdiction of Local Union #21, which includes the counties of Dutchess, Putnam, Ulster, and Westchester.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various job sites and related instruction.
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must take an aptitude test administered by the New York State Department of Labor
The apprenticeship consists of a five-year program registered with the New York State Department of Labor. The apprenticeship includes a minimum of 246 hours annually of related classroom instruction, in addition to the minimum of 8,500 hours of on the job training provided by the employing contractor over the five-year apprenticeship.
Our Building Trades Apprentices (Plumbers and Steamfitters) go to school for 7 consecutive weeks, 8am-3:30pm Monday-Friday per year. Our HVACR Service Apprentices normally work a full day and attend related training classes two nights per week for 9 months at the training center.
The related training subjects include science, math, drawing interpretation and plan reading, building codes, and applicable shop labs. The apprentices earn 45 college credits, for the five-year program, that can be applied toward an Associates Degree in Construction Supervision. Apprentices will ultimately specialize in one of the following career paths:
- Mechanical Equipment Service (HVAC)
In addition to the technical instruction apprentices receive training in several areas including:
- OSHA Safety Courses
- Customer Relations
- Sexual Harassment Awareness
The Plumbers, Steamfitters and HVACR Service Technicians Local 21 Joint Apprenticeship Committee conducts periodic recruitment on an Annual basis or based on additional manpower needs.