UA Local Union No. 21 - Training
Plumbers and Steamfitters Recruit Apprentices
Peekskill, NY (October 25, 2017) -
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #21, Zone 1, will conduct a recruitment from November 27, 2017 through December 8, 2017 for 15 plumber & steamfitter apprentices and five refrigeration & air conditioning mechanic apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications must be obtained in person at Local Union #21, 1024 McKinley Street, Peekskill, NY, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications must be returned in person by 3:30 p.m. on Monday, December 8, 2017 at Local Union # 21. Applicants must pay a non-refundable $10.00 processing fee by cash or money order. Please note: You may request that this fee be waived. Fee waivers will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof of completion and grades will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must reside (for at least six months prior to application) within the geographic jurisdiction of Local Union #21, which includes the counties of Dutchess, Putnam, Ulster, and Westchester.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various job sites and related instruction.
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must take an aptitude test administered by the New York State Department of Labor
No other organization serves the training needs of the piping industry like the United Association. For over a century, the UA has been training the most highly-qualified workers in the United States and Canada.
Over the past several decades, the United Association's training programs have produced a stable, skilled workforce responsible for building and maintaining piping systems in the various industrial and residential facilities that make up the North American landscape.
No one can match the commitment or investment. The UA spends over $100 million annually on training programs efforts involving over 350,000 journeymen and apprentices in over 400 local training facilities at any given time.
If the United Association wanted to select an area which reflects this commitment to the training and excellence produced, it could well look to New York State. Thanks to an agreement with the Plumbing & Mechanical Contractors Association (PMCA), UA Local 21 has a daytime apprenticeship program in our state of the art training facility.
In addition to our five-year apprenticeship programs, UA Local 21 offers continuing education opportunity that includes journeymen training and certification, as well as an associate's degree program through the United Association, International.
Journeyman training is offered to all Journeymen on a continual basis. The training includes specialized subjects as well as the following regular programs and certifications:
- Asbestos/Lead Awareness
- Backflow Prevention Device Testing Recertification
- CFC Refrigerant Handler Training and Certification
- Construction Supervision Degree ( On - Line)
- Crane Signaler Certification (NCCCO)
- Electronic Controls (DDC) Training
- Foreman Certification Training
- GHS (Global Harmonized Symbol) Training
- GPRO Plumbing Certification ( USGBC)
- High density polypropylene fusion
- Lockout/Tagout Procedure
- Medical Gas System Installation Training and Recertification
- NFPA 70E (Arc Flash) Awareness
- On - Line CAD Classes
- Orbital Welding Certifications
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction Safety
- OSHA 30 Hour Construction Safety
- OSHA Hazardous Communication
- OSHA Confined Space Entry
- OSHA Scaffold User and Competent Person
- Rigging (EPRI) Certification
- Tube Bending Classes
- Valve Repair Certification
- UA Welding Certifications
- Westchester Journeyman Plumbing Exam